Archive | Flowers RSS feed for this section

Flower Project #1 – Status: Complete

18 Jul

Well, about 10-12 hours of work later, my weekend bridal flower attempt is complete. I think it looks adorable. In total, the materials on this one piece cost around $18-20 (I’ll figure out the final cost later). The handle is a wooden knitting needle (oddly, the most expensive single item in the whole arrangement), and it is removable. I’ll customize it later.

I probably need to pin a little more just to tuck free corners, but I’m really excited about the results! At this rate, I’ll definitely be under budget on flower stuff. 😀

Advertisements

Flower DIY Project – Test Run #1

17 Jul

Today, I felt crafty, so I proceeded to go to JoAnn Fabrics and Walmart in search of deals, sales, and supplies for my project. I already had a tin of buttons (you see some pictured below); they are buttons from my mother, her mother and my great-grandmother. I wanted to incorporate that into the flowers. I won’t be tossing this one. Ha.

I spent several hours prepping fabrics, several more sewing flowers, and another couple pinning and re-pinning. Here’s a picture of the progress so far:

Here is a top view of the same trial (it gives a better sense of the style):

I spent $30 on materials. I’d estimate I have enough fabric to make a huge bridal arrangement, a small lapel one, a ring pillow, and several smaller centerpieces. This was a good day for budget shopping.

Awesome Idea of the Day: instead of buying a plastic storage bin, I spent $17 at Walmart to grab a plush storage cube – fuctional, useful, secret – win, win, win!!!